"ad astra per alia porci"


Monday, September 10, 2007

Big Fish in a Big Pond

To shrimp,

I was going to write something on what my beloved and long-lost JTT (aka Jonathan Taylor Thomas) is up to these days, but then as I was partaking in my daily surfing routine I stumbled upon these incredible creatures. A tad ugly, but intriguing nonetheless.
This fine specimen of fish featured above is appropriately called the Mekong Giant Catfish.Endemic to Cambodia, this megafish can also be found in neighboring Thai and Laotian waters. Weighing in at over 300 kilograms and spanning up to 3 meters, this colossal Poseidon of Kampuchea is rarely caught (only once in 2006) but still remains on the 'Critically Endangered' List. Though bans have been placed in Southeast Asian regions, they are highly ineffective and this poor fella ends up on the dinner table.

This herculean mass of aquatic matter is known as the Giant Freshwater Stingray, and is also found in Cambodia's Mekong River. Slightly larger than its catfish counterpart, this stingray can reach a maximum size of about five meters and 600 kilograms.

I'm not certain what either of these mega-fishes eat....probably people, maybe only small babies. It also baffles me how they are caught, or how for that matter the man above is just holding onto the stingray's tail like one would to a doggie leash.

No comments: